Sunday, September 30, 2012

Poison and wine


I find it remarkable how music can alter our moods, or simply define perfectly how we are feeling in a specific moment. Music moves us and is such an important influence in my life. 

To me it's a form of communication with my own thoughts. 
There is this one particular song I have heard recently that describes just how I'm feeling at this moment and I wish to share with the world. It's called 

"Poison and Wine" by The Civil Wars.
Here's the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcHI2uNHrvQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This song relays the brutally honest feelings about the dangerous and beautiful process of knowing and being known.

Two people who still love each other but don't want to, yet can't help themselves. With each line such as "Your mouth is Poison, your mouth is wine." Poison is deadly, so interpreting that would be something like words you say can hurt or even kill. 
"Your mouth is wine," on the other hand is like a sweet meaning... the things you say show me you care.
 
"Your hands can heal, Your hands can bruise" to me, means you love me in your way, yet you hurt me though you don't mean to. "You only know what I want you to" vs. "I know everything you don't want me to." They obviously are opposites and cancel each other out same with the line "I don't love you, but I always will." To me, that line means there are things you have done that make me not want to love you, but I can never stop loving you even if I tried. 

Perhaps it makes sense to me this way because it's something I've experienced myself: being with someone who obviously loves me and I love him, but he hurts me even though he doesn't mean to and is genuinely sorry, and I do the same to him. I will always love this person (which is the wine), but for the sake of loving him and wanting to do right by him, I feel I shouldn't love him at all (which is the poison).

This song expresses the confusion of love in a unique, deeply tied relationship between a man and woman. They both cannot live without eachother, yet a barrier stands in the way of a perfect relationship. Their intense feelings for one another are mutual, yet both hide how truly of a deep connection is felt. Both with knowledge of how easily one will hurt the other, submission stays underneath, therefore causing reluctance to admit their true love for the other.

Poison & Wine is a musical snapshot about the dichotomy of love - that while it can be the thing that destroys you, it can also be the very same thing that beckons and builds you. ... The longer you know someone - and the longer you allow someone to know you - the more the light and shadows inside each person become more vivid.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home